Six days into my ’30-minutes-of-online-learning-a-day’ challenge, and going strong. That learning has been happening through Skillshare and Masterclass, revolving thus far primarily around writing.
Partly because of that, I’ve been thinking a lot about story, and what I find compelling about story. For me, there’s an ‘indescribable’ warmth to some stories, books or movies. Things like Newsroom and Harry Potter and West Wing. I wanted to try and describe it.
Driving in the car today, I wrote down the things I can think of that evoke that warmth…
- Stories revolving around friends and family – and the struggles and joys of moving through life together.
- A space that feels like ‘home’ to the characters. A space that is their own. A space that is lived in and shows its years. A space that they get to show to someone who has never been there before (along with the audience).
- Characters finding beauty in nature.
- Close groups, societies, clubs or classes – groups that feel trustworthy and are striving together towards a common goal. Often small groups or societies hidden or obscured within large ones. Finding anonymity together within masses of humanity.
- Characters finding beauty in unappreciated areas.
Those are my musings of the day. This list is shallow and incomplete – I will continue to build on it.